Symbolic Meaning of Black Cats (Three of Them)

Written by avenefica on October 30th, 2007

A follower of my work wrote in telling me she witnessed three black cats sitting at her doorstep three days in a row.  She asked what the symbolic meaning of black cats (specifically, these three) could be, to which I respond:

Dear Cat Whisperer:

Unanimously, the symbolic meaning of cats is that of protection and guardianship.

Stoic, silent and mysterious, cats fit the bill of for being expert guardians of homes and people.  They are also master secret keepers, and are a symbol of esoteric (hidden) knowledge.

As a Celtic animal symbol, the cat was honorably regarded as the guardian of the Otherworld, and served as a gatekeeper to the other realm of existence.

Black cats double in their mystery, and protection powers.

The number three is highly promising – it is a number that deals with creativity, new ideas, new partnerships, and new business ventures.

The fact that you have seen three black cats on your stoop is a very auspicious sign.  It may mean you will be forming a new business relationship, or that you are coming into a position in which you will become more stable.

The appearance of these cats is also very promising because it tells me that you and your family are protected against energy that may thwart you from launching new ideas.  You all are guarded against trivial, bothersome set-backs.

1. vam360 says:

i have a question that i haven’t been able to answer..

what does it mean, if you desperately attempt to dodge a black cat whilst driving and it intentionally runs back towards your car, you hit it with three tires, and the last two bring the car completely up off the ground.. and when you go back to see if the cat’s dead, its nowhere in sight.. so you spend 45 minutes looking for any trace that it actually happened with the person who was in the passenger seat, and no sign on the road or on your car, including checking the inside of the car rims and engine..

then not the next day, but the day after that approx around the same time [3-4am] you venture out to your car to grab your wallet and theres a black cat that appears to be the same size and age laying on your hood looking straight at you.. and you know its not your neighbor’s cat because no one in your development has a black cat?

is that some sort of sign of protection or warning? i feel uncomfortable, and im always looking behind me for another cat to appear in my house, or wake up with one looking at me.. i’d really like your input

-vam

I believe phenomenon such as these take place to do the very thing you are doing now: Question.

Perhaps that is the only purpose for these events – to make you question your own reality.

Animals come to us for reasons – what their reasons may be depends upon those they appear to.

In other words, I can only give you some general, foundational thoughts based on lore, or observation (as I have done in the above post). Ultimately you must ascribe your own interpretation to these events.

3. Marc says:

Pls could you advise

I have a black cat with 4 white paws that keeps coming to my house and even sometimes enters as if she lived here. She seems to be acustomed to people as i have touched her and taken her out at times, but i have been told that it is not auspicious. especially a black cat with white paws.

Other cats are fine

BTW
    I have always liked cats and had them since i was a child, I now have a white cat with brown patches which I accepted from neighbours whom were going to put him down when they moved house, and a ginger kitten which i found in a dustbin in the city. unfortunatley they dont get along too well but i think it will take time.

pls advise
    Marc

4. ND says:

I searched this site because I have just came out of a dream where I obtained 3 cats. I new that there could be symbolism behind animal dreams so I looked up the meaning on this site. After reading the comments on this page I have goosebumps, because I am getting married in 3 days! I just thought it appropriate to share this with you!

5. karen says:

This is all very interesting. I myself have never viewed black cats as bad luck. A few weeks ago my grandmother passed away and I had to travel back home for the funeral. My husband told me that while I was away a black cat started appearing in the tree next to my bedroom window at night…everynight. WHen I got back I thought it would go away but it has been in that tree every night since my grandma died. Last night I woke up and there it was lloking into my window and appearedd to be watching me sleep. It will wait till I go to work in the morning and if I come late at night will be waiting for me by that tree. Any ideas? It may just be a

6. Robin Brown says:

Since I moved to my new place I have been adopted by a stray grey cat. Of course I feed him and give him milk, mostly because I appreciate him being there. I live in a “scary” neighborhood and usually don’t go out much at night: however, the garbage dumpster is a block away. When I take the garbage whether it is day or night, he walks with me to the dumpster and back. He is waiting for me when I get home and greets me in the morning. I do not let him in the house because of fleas, etc. but our bond has become very close. Last night when walking to the dumpster I heard a scamper behind me and there he came, running to catch up. A few seconds later I smelled a very, very strong odor of roses. It only lasted a few moments. I looked around in the dark but there was nothing near… only the dumpster and the freeway with its noise and exhaust.

7. Samantha says:

I had recently found out that I was allergic to cats, dogs,.etc. I had a black cat at home that was the family cat. Due to my allergies I had to give him away. He was already 2 years old so we brought him to an Animal Center. There they told us that animals were never put to sleep, they were given 10 days of quarantine (to see their behavior), and they were given years of an opportunity to find an adopter. They gave us a code that my cat was now known as to them, so if we ever wanted to check up on him we could. Three weeks later we decided to call cause we wanted to know how he was adjusting. They let us know that he wasn’t letting them touch him and was aggressive so they had to put him to sleep after only 8 days. This was yesterday that I found out.

Now this is when it starts to get weird. About three weeks ago everyone in the household started to notice a black cat roaming about. At this point non of us knew that he has passed on. We all seen him doing exactly what my cat used to do. Climb on us at night, sleep on our beds, standing by the window,.etc. Now that we have found out what his destiny was, do you think its my cat that has found his way back home? Why does it mean that he is still around?

8. Marc says:

Hello
    I live in a small 1 bedroom appartment on the second floor. I just finished eating dinner, after a shower I had closed the door of my room to cook dinner and after eating going back in the room, A BLACK CAT was liying on my bed. We both looked at each other straight in the eyes for a few seconds than i opend the balconie door and tried to chase him out. he went once under the bed i lifted the matrass than he jumped out.last night I heard wird lasting sounds of a crying cat. I have NO idea how he could have gotten in with out me noticing it. Its kind of scarry or wird concidering I m going through some crazy events in my life am a college student my parents are divorcing and a lot of problems everywhere…

9. Vicki says:

hi, ok so i always thought that black cats represented death and badluck,(until now ) so where i work, on the wknds its empty in the parking lot..and on my break time i go outside for a cigg. And 2x this black teen cat has come out of nowhere only in my presence..1st time it stared me down and came towards my car stopped, waited to see what i would do, i drove off scared it would cross my path, as soon as i drove off the cat left. 2nd time a week later spooked me.. i came out-parking lot empty, i went into my car for a min, came back out about 3 parking spots away the black cat is calmly sitting there just staring at me, didnt seemed threatened by me at all. sat there for 15min while i smoked, just staring at me while i stared back, then he just turned around and left. My life has been crazy and stressful for some time, but since the cat started coming around things in my life have come to a turning point, kinda like do or die so,(NOT LITERALLY)but now that i have seen your website i feel better about it, and actually hope to see the cat again, and come to think about it in the past black cats have always popped up when i come around..strange..makes me think about my reality.

10. donna says:

I have had 2 different cats come to my home. I have figured out when a black cat comes it means a man or some flirtation or dating will soon occur, the grey cat means opportunity or money will come my way. I just had an orange cat come into my yard. It lives across the street and has never come over. I have recently been worried about money, being alone etc. and last night this cat came, what does this mean

11. henry castellanos says:

Hello I would like to ask a question concerning black cats. Are they an omen of bad luck, is someone doing black magic against me or are they an omen of good luck? I keep on seeing them around the house outside and also they have crossed my way when driving or walking. If you can help me please send me an email. Thank you. Henry.

12. melissa says:

Hey, i had a dream the other night about three cats. In my dream the three cats where on a ladder and i was trying to help them. The first one hiss at me. The second one scratch me, I had three cuts on my hand and shaped in half moons. I could see the inside of my had and it was bleeding a lot. I picked up thrid one and he was fine with me.

Would you have any idea what this would mean?

13. aine says:

dear sir madam, on several occasions im driving the kids to school or going to the shops and a black cat crosses my car in front of me from the left side of the road it comes in the middle looks at me in the face and goes back the way it came what does this mean please help thanks aine ireland

14. Levys says:

Hey, what does it mean when a white cat with gray spots comes out of nowhere and sits down and stares at you then when I went inside I told my sister about it and she went outside to get the cat off of the lawn and it ran off. After that she went upstairs and I started doing the dishes and when I looked outside the cat was back and it just sat the same way as before and stared at me. Then when I went to tell my sister once again when we came back it was gone. When she left AGAIN, I looked outside and it was sitting, but it wasn’t looking at me it was as if it was looking for something else, but it hasn’t left the yard it still roams around. I haven’t had a cat since I was little so I don’t know why or what this cat keeps on watching me for… it’s creeping me out and I thought that maybe you could help me. Thanks

15. aubrey says:

i seem to have a black cat that every time i leave or return home comes to me what does it mean ?

16. clinton says:

Hello my dear,

I have recently been experiencing having black cats show up at my home. I had had one show up out nowhere 6 years ago when i was at a time in my life where i was recovering from a terrible drug addiction. I kept the cat and it would sit up all night gazing outside as if it was there to protect me, my step father made me get rid of the cat. Last December i was struggling with my addiction again after i had a major surgery as i had a relapse and my life spun out of control for about 6 months. I had found out that at the same time i was going through these things the cat(which my mother gave to a friend) had recently became sick and ill at the same time i was. Unfortunately the cat did not make it, Around september of this year i began to get my life back in order and getting clean again and yet another large black cat showed up out of nowhere. This was a wild cat and would not come near people and eventually became good friends, my step father will not let me keep him in the house but i keep him in a shed next door and feed him. This cat is huge! and he is one of the most loving cats i ever seen, I absolutely love this black cat, as i recall the black cat from years before was simaliar but not as big and dominant. When i was going to one of my groups(outpatient recovery earlier this week i was walking up to the door and yet another black cat was just standing there watching me. What could they posibly giving me signs of? What are the chances of stray black cats just showing up out of nowhere. I mean i literally live in the middle of nowhere. It is about as country as you can get. I have also had many crows come to me over the years. I feel as if i am being protected or something. I was giving warning by two crows about a serious car accident i would soon be in, The flew down by my car and were cawing out of control, they were definately giving me a sign. I pulled out of the parking lot and drove abut a few miles when a car doing 60mph blew a red light and totaled my brand new car, i got out with out a scratch. And i was wearing no seatbelt. I also see triple numbers whenever i look at the clock it seems. Whether i be in the car, home a friends, anywhere really. Like 1:11, 2:22, 3:33, 4:44, 5:55, and my favorite 11:11…what is all this about. It just like there is something special about me, like i have soemthing to offer. Sometimes i feel like i have pychic abilities. I mean when i am on i am on. Sometimes i am so sharp that i amaze everyone around me including myself. And other times its the exact opposite. I am not sure what to make of all this. Could you please let me know what you think? it would mean so much to me. I always check your website for animal symbolism and it is so helpful to me and i am so greatful for your site. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this email and i hope to hear from you soon. Thank you in advance

Warmest Regards,

Clinton

17. qasim khan says:

excuse me i have black cat a kitten and he plays and eat and some time try to bite on my arm in playing……….:O i m confused she sleeps wid us in bed some time she sits on m lap…..and sleep:O is black cat is good luck or badluck for me

18. Goddess Rebecca says:

I am a 3rd generation Straga. I can see energy and karma. I can read people by sight. I was taught the old kitchen arts by my grandmother and mother.

The day before my birthday, December 16th around 7pm at night, I found a dead tabby adult cat behind my fig tree (which I have in a large green pot) next to my front door. I have two large round pots on either side of my front door stoop to help move energy.

The cat was very dead, cold and stiff. I placed it in a white garbage bag without touching it, said a blessing and then placed it gently in the trash.

I can sense the goddess is trying to say something to me. I read my tarot and the message that came was confusing at best, which is strange because normally the messages are very straight forward.

Early this week, still bothered by the death and removal of the cat, I called a fellow practitioner who owns my favorite metaphysical store. She said it was a very bad time to ask her questions about cats because she had come home the day before to find one of her kittens dead.

My senses are telling me there is a connection… but I still have no idea. I pray that no more cats perish in trying to bring this message to me. I value all animal life.

I am open to receiving any assistance or feelings you may have in this matter.

Rebecca

19. tweet says:

I have a tattoo of a geisha girl with a black cat in her lap an she has one hand on its back as if she is petting it.
    but of lately I’m eager to find out what is the meaning of it. Could you please help me to find out if it has a meaning. Thank you, your response will be much appreciated!!

20. tweet says:

Omg clinton I just read your comment an it brought tears to my eyes because I have nearly that same experience!! Let me start by saying,I’m 23 my b-day is 2.2.87. Nways when I was a teen my step mom told me a story that back in the days when ppl wanted to become witch, they would steer in a black cats eyes an never squint for days lol, an then they would have psychic abilities. being so young an very experimental,I tried it one day,I steered into my neighbor’s cats eyes for about a good 3minutes an surprisingly he steered back. While growing up I noticed that I was able to dream things,whenever things are gonna happen whether good or bad.I can tell things right before they happen sometime,well let’s just say I have a very strong intuition then. I can feel when things r going to go bad,like accidents,r whatever the sort an then I was always lucky to follow my mind an avoid traveling. i Don’t mean to be superstitious,but I know an I can feel some form of psychic abilities sometimes, it feel strange an sometime it gets me scared, an I can feel when something is gonna go wrong I get this worried feeling. I can remember I had this friend that died,an I saw him about 3days before he died an he called to me an we were talking,an while talking to him he just looked so different to me,so weird in his face,an I couldn’t tell what it was,I told a friend about it an they told me that,that was death that I saw on him. An sometimes I would be sitting down r doing whatever,an then suddenly
    I would get something like a vision of something or about someone, an then it would happen. I could go on an on an on about things I experience ….well please tell me what is going on with me. is it normal for these thing to happen to people or is that black cat the reason why I have these special abilities,could it have given me some sort of ability,Please I need your help!!!

21. glenys swalla says:

yesterday, while lounging on my bed, watching tv, I vividly saw a black cat at head level on my left suddenly jump into my body. I DO NOT OWN A BLACK CAT.
    Needless to say I was shocked. I was not thinking of cats and yet there it was. i jumped in surprise and my dog, who was on my lap at the time, got up and left the room. I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it since.
    Please , can you tell me what this may mean. thankyou for your support.
    Glenys

22. Moni says:

Can you please explain the spiritual meaning of a beautiful friendly grey cat turning up on your door step seeking a home. With no disrespect my husband and I are more dog people and it would never cross our minds to purchase a cat. However, my husband has made this little fury animal very welcome.

We live 20mins out of town on 40 acres.

Many thanks Moni.

23. dani says:

Me and my faïence recently got a new home before me and him moved in he decided to go over and check things out, when he walked up to the house he found a white Siamese Cat that greeted him at the steps and followed him inside. Nobody in the community has seen the cat before and when he left the cat returned to the bushes at the house and fell asleep. Is there a meaning for a white cat showing up at your new home?

24. chandyce anderson says:

last night a all white cat with a gay spot on its face climbed through my sister’s window. it had a collar with a bell and piercing blue eyes. she woke up when it began meowing. it was calm and seemed to be reaching out to her with itss paw. meaning?

25. Bobcat says:

To the woman who got rid of her cat due to “allergy” what a selfish self obsessed person you are. No mention of guilt, just more about you.

26. Thank you…often when I would arrive home I would find three neighborhood cats on my property. I always had this feeling they were waiting for me but at the same time it was a little odd since it would happen often. Now I think I understand why.

27. Chammay says:

I love all animals but I have always felt a connection with black cats. They have always been my protectors. I feel that people should never fear them.

28. Lea says:

I have dreamed of three black male kittens. I guess I took them in my dream. For some reason I needed to save them or remove them from where ever it was they were at. I remember treading through a dangerous neighborhood filled with many dogs.

After bringing them to my home the started to speak almost, but I woke up before I could hear what was said.

29. melissa edwards says:

I found comfort in this I was giving a black cat at age 2 had her until I was 16 and she died, I always confided in her cause my mother died when I was 4.

30. Barritone says:

I had a dream seeing so many cat in my house I try my best to cast every one of the cats out but could not all of a sudden every one of it is gone but after some minute they are back but this time they are about 3 or 4 what those this mean.

31. Monica says:

My neighbour has a black cat, but for the pass few months. Every evening when I get in it is either staring up at my window, looking right at me or stitting on or around my car again looking in my direction… What does this mean? Is this good or bad

32. Kassie says:

@tweet What you are experiencing is actually quite normal. Everyone in my family has some type of gift. Some of us have dreams that always come true, some can see spirits and/or hear them. I can see spirits of the deceased but that is only if they allow themselves to be seen. We have been this way long before we ever owned our first cat and none of us have ever stared into a cat’s eyes until we actually owned one.

33. mundo says:

I’m woundering what it means there are two black cats hanging around my house for months now it kind of freaks me out I want to know what this means…