Symbolic Meaning of Beetles

Written by avenefica on June 27th, 2010
Symbolic Meaning of Beetles

Symbolic Meaning of Beetles

I received an inquiry about the symbolic meaning of beetles.

Realizing I haven’t written much on beetles, I thought I’d share my insights here.

Suggested symbolic meaning of beetles (at-a-glance):

• Progress
  • Simplicity
  • Persistence
  • Stability
  • Methodical
  • Contemplative
  • Practical
  • Grounded
  • Potential
  • Security
  • Introverted
  • Protection
  • Solidarity

Beetles speak to us of groundedness. They move with bellies always close to the earth, and so their wisdom is sacred and deep.  They are connected to the core of earth, and so they are rooted in their knowledge about the way of life and nature.

Beetles also talk to us about steady, gradual progress.  Observing them, they do nothing without pragmatic, methodical movement.

Beetles impart messages such as:

• “Get to the root of your desire”
  • “Be practical in your expectations of progress”
  • “Find stability in simplicity”
  • “Anchor yourself in honest, true, natural ways”

Beetles also remind us of the simple things in life, and point our attention to the magic in the small.  A friend of mine, Kim Gould at www.loveyourdesign.com says this: “allow yourself to be tamed by the small and gentle.”  Beetles can tame us because of their simple, unassuming presence.

The symbolic meaning of beetles also offers protection.  Their own hard shells do more than just convey glimmery beauty.  They protect.   And so, the beetle (in countless cultures, particularly Asian) is considered a symbol of protection too.

The colors of your beetles will also offer meaningful messages.

For example, greens talk to me about the heart chakra which is the center for healing, love and compassion.  Blue hearkens to the throat chakra which encourages creative expression and vocalizing our real truth…our genuine truth…I’m not talking about speaking a false-truth like “I am sick” I’m talking about the real truth that recognizes inherent health & well-being indwelling the body/soul at all times.

Beetles also reminded me of the Egyptian scarabs which are all about building our best, most incredible opportunities from the poop around us.  :)

Other areas of interest:

Insect Totems and Insect Symbolism

Symbolism in Nature

More Symbolic Meaning of Beetles (on Whats-Your-Sign.com)

1. Hi … opened a box and found a live ladybug welcoming us. She was very pretty, lots of spots, but kind of sluggish. So, we could easily handle her and put her outside where she belonged.

Cool stuff …

D~

2. Ruth says:

I have just written about a beetle synchronicity on my blog, so I was interested in your insights, thank you. Mine had orange stripes – and I have been working on my sacral chakra for the last week!!

3. Kaiya says:

I like what your saying. the small things are definatly something to marvel in. I was wondering if there would be a negative meaning if you find a dead one? I found one that looks like a scarab..not sure if it is cause i live in Georgia, but he died.

4. I agree with that meanings.
    “Find stability in simplicity” is the best for slow moving bugs.

5. leny says:

I thinking to put as a tatto i wanna more about this. meanings,colors, etc. need help.

6. Deborah says:

Thank you for posting this blog. Yesterday a beetle flew into my car, buzzed my ear and landed on my shirt. I knew that it was no coincidence when I arrived home and a slow cautious beautiful beetle gently walked on the floor in front of me on my way to the kitchen. I then found your blog.

I often push too hard in my personal and professional life and forget the “steady gradual process” of life and its sweet unfolding nature full of grace. Your mention of the simplicity of beetles as well as their groundedness helped me to remember the most nurturing pieces of my relationships and achievements.

Thank you for your wisdom. You have lightened my heart today.

7. Christina S. says:

I was walking outside last night and noticed a beetle flying next to me. I stopped, he stopped. We did this a few times before I asked if he was following me. He continued to hover next to me. I turned to stand in front of him and backed away a bit, because I could not see exactly what it was. I asked aloud that he not sting me (I did not realize it was a beetle at first). As soon as I said this, he dive bombed me and hit me in the eye…lol… and flew away. I have a feeling I insulted him… <3

8. You says:

I have been surrounded by beetles lately, tgey are constantly landing on me and just hanging out. Recently several large green beetles, which I have seen before but never in the Area of long island I live in, and lots of the gold with black spots and also reddish/brown types of beetles. You only spoke of green and blue beetles. Do you know anything of these other beetles? Thank you for the article though, even if you can’t help me further this was very informative. b pce livluv n smile- you

9. Victoria says:

After suffering a fire at home things were glum. But a beetle days later entered the living room and kept crawling on me.I it would not leave the house. The very next day h ed crawled on me again do I thanked him and he left the house h happy. Today I came across this as blog which makes sense. I have much respect for them.

10. pendragon says:

upon my travels in the early hours of the am, around 4 in the morning. I saw a great mass fluttering before me.
    this winged thing was a two inch by one inch brown beetle. other than having large antler shaped feelers it flew on white wings with red tips. This beetle must have landed on the hood of my car for warmth, and companionship. upon driving away slowly so as to not cause this beetle to flutter away, it vanished on the divide of hood and windshield.
    later upon inspection the beetle had vanished.

instantly i looked up the symbolism (being that i investigated the symbol of opossum just the night before) leading me to the older symbol of the scarab fitting in with my attachment to other symbols of awakening and protection (falcon, and owl) however i cannot remember my ancient egyptian life. i feel good vibes since my choice meeting and can never forget the massive size of said creature.

even later i witnessed two large scale shooting stars im not sure its meaning but i am happily awestruck at the experience.

many blessing

11. I am following your site for a long time is really a great site

12. Leandro says:

I went to my room upstairs last night to sleep, and I found a beetle on a table by my bed, a beetle very much like the one on the picture above, only it’s color was ash-grayish, there really was no reason for that beetle to be there, because it’s been raining lately, so I don’t know how it got there. Anyway, I placed the little fellow on a store receipt I found laying around, and too him/her outside through the window.

13. Dawn says:

Great info on the beetles! I was conducting a psychic reading on a client and removing some old, past life, unhappy, stuck energy from her heart chakra when, a large green beetle came flying into our area.
    The beetle flew around our chairs a few times, then passed in front of our faces a few times before flying away.
    I knew it was no coincidence at the timing of this and your information just validates what I felt.
    Thank you.