Crossing Paths With the Bear – A Quick Symbolic Meaning of Bear

Written by avenefica on October 25th, 2007

The primary symbolic meaning of Bear is that of reflection and self-observation.

Hibernation is also a form of self-reflection. We all need to undergo times during our day and our lives to do as the Bear does.

When we cross paths with the Bear, we should envelope ourselves temporarily in solitude and silence with a goal for rebirth and self-understanding.

The Bear showing up in our lives is also a symbol for play, and that we need to relax and allow for some creativity into our lives.  The more we allow ourselves to loosen up and have fun, the more our lives begin to take on a more light and lively perspective.

The Bear is one among the animal representatives within the Native American zodiac, and stands for practicality, level-headedness and generosity.

Bears often come to us in dreams too.  As dream symbols, bears represent calm, stoic strength. Bears also indicate a time of introspection. If you are dreaming of a bear sleeping or hibernating, this is a message to do a little soul searching before you present an idea to the world. If a bear is chasing you, this means you are avoiding a big issue in your life, and it is time to deal with it. If the bear is standing up, this is a sign you need to defend your beliefs.

Other pages potentially appealing to your mental moseying:

Symbolic Meaning of Bear (full disclosure)

Native American Bear Meaning

Bear Tattoo Symbolism

1. Wonga says:

Hi…
    I had this whacky dream where there were different types of bears fighting each other.
    It was all these different species of bears attacking “their mortal enemies” (said so in the dream) panda bears. It was awful. The feeling of the dream was of shock and terror.
    What do you think?

2. Margaret Garland says:

Hi,
    Thanks for the info on the bear. I recently encountered a black bear in the Berkshire mountains of Massachussetts. It was so awsome to see him up close, only a few feet away at night, with the screened porch door between us. I guess he’d just come out of hibernation and was looking for food. He was at least six feet and ratheer hefty…and what a cute face. The encounter made me feel very protected and aware that I wasn’t fearful. Interestingly, I’m a Virgo rising which equates to the Indian sun sign. Thanks again. I look forward to studying your fine website.

3. sluggorian says:

animal symbol meanings in dreams, including the bear – here.

anybody else got ideas for Wonga’s dream?

when we’ve got terror dreams, we’ve got some fears on the inside that are stirring up to the top of our waters.

Wonga, just dive into yourself with love – see what’s lurking about there. Then, before you go to sleep – ask the spirit of Bear to PROTECT you and swim with you in your psychic waters.

4. Cristina says:

I read the article about the native american animals and I’m a bear, which represents me completely :) Thank you for the information!

5. Tabitha says:

The three bears could represent a number of issues your you are trying to deal with: a battle between ego, id and alter ego; the transition period from child to teenager to adolescent. Pandas are black and white – so it seems you are looking for a black and white solution to whatever your problem is. The panda could also represent a need for safety and security and maybe you feel this is under threat somehow.

7. Shade says:

I had a dream about two angry brown bears that has left me a bit shook up.
    My husband jumping/running towards them while I run the other direction to save/find shelter for my children in a near by car.
    Woke up not knowing what happened with my husband after his encounter with the two angry bears?
    HUM?

8. Jennifer says:

I keep having this reoccurring daydream, as well as night dream, that I am giving, placing even, a silver & turquoise bear paw necklace around an old friend I’ve recently become reacquainted with .Its this vivid burning image..whats your insight? Its driving me crazy!! Thanks!

9. Jeff says:

I had a strange dream about a bear cub. I found it as i was wandering in a forest. It was still alive when i found it but was fading fast. It had been slashed open just beneath the diapraghm and the heart being severed and removed from this opening, leaving only the associated blood vessels (I don’t remember any blood for some reason). (In my anatomy class we recently learned that this operation is called a ‘Transverse Abdominal Thoracotomy’) I took pity on the poor thing and carried it back to a home that i can not vividly recall in the dream I do not remember it dying but i do remember examining its wounds to see if there could be anything that could be done for it which i sadly realized there could not be anything done to save it. I don’t remember the cub dying but I remember sadly laying it in a gravelike hole. Then I remember coming outside of the house and the bear cub was live, whole, and playful, and I had the sense that it was greatful to me for its life. Other aspects of my dream were vague and not closely related, but the bear (and it being a bear cub), it’s injuries, the fact that it was healed, and become my friend were particularly vivid in my dream. Anyone wanna take a guess as to what this might mean?

10. Lauren says:

I had a dream where it was absolutely dire to save to young Panda bear cubs. It was of great importance that these 2 baby pandas were not harmed. What does this mean?

11. Ernie says:

ok
    i had a dream of a big bear
    where in the dream i ate from the bear and then had visions and was talking in the native language
    i want to know what it means?
    so if you can email me and try to tell it would help a lot
    ty

12. Phil Taylor says:

I had a dream where I was being transformned into a bear. I was then disturbed by noisey neighbours which awoke me from my dream. What is the meaning of this.

13. Joanna says:

In my dream I walked down a semi forested path, away from a community of people, the path brushy on both sides. Ahead..a beautiful, large healthy,shiny coated black bear (I immediately thought male) ambling toward me. I love bears, but for some reason this one made me want to turn and run. I seemed to be feeling the power of this bear and its unpredictability. Any thoughts?

14. tk says:

I had re-occurring dreams for years about a large brown bear on my trail, over many paths, it was bearing down on me many times, and there was always some way out, until it became frequent enough I realized it was my dream and I could create a path out. Now I miss the bear and seem to seek it, and what it was about. this started in the 80′s and ended in the 2000. Thanks.