Finding Feathers on Your Path – Symbolic Meaning of Feathers

Written by avenefica on November 3rd, 2007

It is commonly thought in most cultures that feathers are symbols of higher thought, spiritual progression.  The line of thought here is that birds were considered divine creatures in primitive/ancient cultures because they are creatures of the sky (heaven) and therefore closer to God.

When you find feathers upon your path it could be taken to mean that you are on a higher spiritual path (whether you accept it or not), and it may be a sign of encouragement as you philosophically travel on this path.

Finding feathers on your path is also symbolic of having a lighter outlook on life or a particulary situation.  When we see feathers in our midst it is considered a message that we need to lighten up, not take things too seriously, and try to find the joy in our situation.

Some common symbolic meaning of feathers are:

• Heightened awareness
  • Light heartedness
  • Enlightenment
  • Prayer
  • Divinity
  • Progress

Dreaming of feathers in our midst is typically symbolic of wanting to achieve a higher goal, or overcome a challenge.  It is also a reminder from our psyche that we are always connected to our higher source, and that our own divinity is undeniable.

I have devoted an entire web page to the meaning of feathers which expands on this subject.  Here is the link:
www.whats-your-sign.com/symbol-meaning-of-feathers.html

1. yvonne says:

Wow. What a beautiful web-site. I found a crow feather today (in my laundry) and stumbled upon your web-site while seeking the symbolism of a crow feather. I thoroughly enjoyed reading other’s posts. I had a dream near to 6 months ago. It was so vivid, beautiful, and puzzling. I had a fiery red quetzal in the pupil of my eye. (I have never seen a living quetzal in my waking life-only illustrations) It was not in distress, but it’s beak had gotten caught in one of it’s long tail feathers while preening. I was watching the quetzal in my pupil(in a mirror) and guiding it with my thoughts while it untangled its beak. It was a beautiful dream and still resonates strongly with me. Any ideas?

2. Deborah says:

Leaving work during lunch time, I took about 10 steps and look down and saw a black & white feather laying underside up. One foot stepped over it…but something made me step back and pick it up. I felt foolish as the guard to the building were probably laughing at me…but inside I was happy . That morning I asked my guides for a sign and I felt the feather was it. It is about 3 ” long. black until the tip, then white and when I turned it over one side of the black feather was indigo bluw…very pretty. I don’t know what kind of feather this would be and why outside a corporate building? Can you tell me what kind of feather this would be and possibly what this would mean? I truly enjoyed your site and reading comments. I am glad I looked up finding feathers. Thank you for your time, Deborah

3. Erika Jackson says:

I have just moved into a new unit that I purchased and right at the front door was a black and white feather. I immediately realised that it was not there by chance and that it means a lot of the Native Indians of America. I got onto this site and enjoyed reading all the information. I would love to know what you think. It was laying tip on left with spike on the right across the entrance.
    I was mesmerised by it when I saw it. Would love to hear from you. I live in Albury New South Wales in Australia.
    Erika

4. Kat says:

The strangest thing happened to me today. I walked into my bedroom, and started to fix the carpet on the floor, which was slightly rolled up. I then noticed a strange looking golden/ silver leaf on the floor. At first, I thought it was just a leaf, but as I examined it closer, I saw that it wasn’t just a leaf, but a feather. I’m still not entirely sure what is is, nor where it came from. It has such a strange color and texture to it, that it couldn’t possibly be a leaf. I also don’t know the reason why, but once I picked up the feather, I got very emotional, out of nowhere. Could this feather I found possibly mean something? I am not at all spiritual, but the strange feather got me thinking that perhaps its some kind of a sign? I would love to know if you had a possible explanation for what the golden/silver feather means? Thank you. :)

5. norma says:

yesterdays as i was walking i came a cross three regular bird feathers on three different ocassions i was wondering what did it meant but i came across this wonderfull website:)

6. LJ says:

I’ve found a dove feather each morning next to my car for three days straight. My mother is in the hospital dying of cancer, could these feathers mean something or are they just a coincidence?

7. Smiles888 says:

2 feathers have crossed my path in the last 48 hours. Funny thing, I meant to look up the meaning when I saw the first, then forgot. Two days later, the second found its way in front of me in a parking garage… along my path to my home.Thank you for the explanation, it certainly sheds light on what it means for me.

8. ROBYN says:

MY FRIENDS GRANDMOTHER HAD A VISSION WHEN HE WAS BORN, ABOUT A WINGED WOLF, CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT IT MEANS, SO I CAN HELP HIM.
    HE NEEDS ANSWERE, THANK YOU.
    That might help, but does it make sence to you as far as my grammas vission? what’s it got to do with me. I dont understand Symbolism, of the ancient cultures, thats where my problem is. I really need an old indian who knows these things . Know what i mean? Someone is suposed to eventually come along, as far as My Grandmother had said, I guess. I guess I have to be patient.

9. Jennifer says:

Hi all. I have a question. My friend and I were talking about supernatural experiences we’ve had, and she mentioned that when she was younger, she had seen crows feathers sticking straight up out of the ground at a house they used to live in, everyday for the entire time they lived there. She said that this house was also a house where she’d encountered spirits. Could you please tell us the meaning of the feathers?

10. mario asher says:

today i walked out my door and on the ground were three feathers .all three were about 6-7 inches long,black in the middle and white all the way around the edges.if anyone has any ideas what it could mean i would love to know

11. August Griffin says:

Your work feeds me greatly with such beautifully nutritious food. Thank you. August x

12. Nahal says:

I found a feather in my jewelry box, I kept it because I found it strange. A week pass by and I found another feather while i was showering. I feel enlighten and relieved.
    Great website!

13. يارا says:

دائماً ارى ريش الحمام في طريقي واحب ان احتفظ فيه ولدي ريش منذ سنين وانا محتفظه فيه احب اعرف تفسير هذا الشي وانا من عشاق ريش الحمام

14. Jespn says:

I’ve found an owl feather and an eagle feather I’n the past two weeks

15. Christie says:

My girlfriend’s mom passed away peacfully three weeks ago in their home. She has been grieving this huge loss as they were very close. This week she discovered many white feathers near her door. Thank you for this website.

16. imam says:

i was in the back of my house by myself playing my keyboard to some amazing melodies coming out of the deepest consent of my heart dedicating every note to my eternal father creator when i finally decided to call it a night ,i step out the door whent to the main door of the house when something grabed my attention ? it was a feather and a little puddle of water beside it i was shocked beacause this is not the first time along time ago i was a bad person lost in this world so it hapen that on that other day long ago i found a black feather under my bed i was shocked took it out and burned it i ask everyone who it was they all turnd away and said nobody here son not your father not me i burned it and right away as black fogy the smoke when up i saw a black bee Quick scared it away then went to my house. and so it happens that now my life as time passeed it changed and i find a grey feather …

sorry long story with such writting and spelling of mine, english is my second language :] ~ivan~

17. Danaya Alyce says:

Just a few moments ago I was outside my significant others house (which used to be mine as well)… anyways- i was picking up cigarrette butts in the rocks just out front and I found snakeskin and a red feather. I found these just before i was about to go inside. Last night I read peices of THE ART OF PEACE and i felt really good.

18. Jeana Derensbourg says:

this is awesome! imma singer and i wear a peacock feather on 1 ear everytime i perform… and now that i know the meaning of why i do what i do…! makes it even the more special!thank u sooo much!

19. Lisa says:

I found a black small feather in my plate while eating birthday cake. No one knew where this feather came from, but everyone was shocked and took it as a bad omen…I felt pretty bad.

20. Amber says:

I came across a totem pole today. Underneath it on the ground were 2 of the feathers that were broken of it. Just before I reached the totem pole there had been a flock of crows cawing like crazy, after i reached the totem pole, found the two feathers, and read the inscription on the totem pole, the crows stopped. Also after leaving this area and driving by my childhood home I seen a bunny rabbit sitting in the front yard. Me and my brother have seen a bunny almost every day for the past couple weeks. Oh and when I started writing this it was 12:12.

21. Sandy says:

I was with my best friend on Thursday. She asked me what I thought it meant if she found a 10 inch creme to gray feather inside the driveway gate to her house. I told her I thought “good luck”, but, my first thought was “death”. She passed 3 days later. Only53

22. kt says:

I found an owl feather today on my hike around the local lake. It was so beautiful so I put it in my pocket and zipped it up to bring home. Then a few steps further I thought I saw an owl in the trees out of the corner of my eye but when I looked there was nothing there. I finished my walk and never once opened my pocket until I was back at my house. I unzipped the pocket to find nothing in it. The feather was gone. What do you think this meaning could be?

23. Denise says:

Thank you for the enlightenment on my “path” of feathers.

24. raymond says:

two feathers/ healing protection / protection healing / mother creation and father creator
    10 feathers/ 10 meaning many
    feathers meaning family/warriors/angels/aspects&intentions

25. Raven says:

I was sitting at my bus stop when a raven landed on a sign almost directly above me. It knew I was there and wasnt disturbed. As I watched, it groomed itself and a black feather fell to the ground. I picked it up and took it home to the medicine bag my mum brought me home from Canada

26. jon says:

So i found whatlooks like a brown owl feather on my couch. No explanation how it got there. All doors were loked and dead bolted. And the feather was about 8 to 12 inches long.

27. Gale says:

Good day since my dad passed away , i have been more in touch with the angels ,i see angels in the clouds , im more aware of angels being around me , What does a grey feather symbolise , \i went into the kitchen at work and there was a small baby feather and a long bigger one .

28. Neil says:

Came across your website in a search and was curious if you had a comment on this. We had a Canadian Indian lad as a tenant this past year while he attended UBC. He left early this morning and left a long white feather and long black feather together in a small flower bed right next to the gate. I wondered if this was symbolic of something he wished to say to us, and what it may be??
    Thanks….enjoyed the site very much.

29. elizabeth searle says:

i work and own a market stall and i was busy working yesterday and as i turned round behold me right in front of me was a 3in white feather it looked so pround sat up on my cash till can any 1 give me any clues to this siteing thank u x

30. Mary says:

Great site. 2 weeks ago, I found a beautiful redtail hawk feather. A large one with stripes. Last week I found another red tail feather. And this morning I found yet another! It’s obvious all 3 are from different parts of the body. It certainly has put me in a mood of introspection.

31. Navin says:

Hi,
    This is a great website. I found our after a visit to tug optometrist that I had a feather shaped scar on my eye, with no recollection of ever getting it. I’m pretty sure it’s recent too as no other optometrist ever pointed it out to me

32. TONY says:

i caught a snowy white owl feather that was droped as he flew over me last month .it was a very strange this owl is not normaly in the barn .yet i went back today and there is a baby owl …seems my life has changed to the better since this has happend …anyway thought it was cool.

33. Cin says:

I’ve been finding feathers for years now, and in the strangest places. Often right outside my car door, or on the ground as I walk into work. I’ve even found them on the floor at work. I find it comforting, and take it as a sign that I am where I am supposed to be.

34. patricia macgeachy says:

I looked out the window and there was this large seagull’s feather …just reminding me to lighten up . take it is easy and go with the flow.Since I have found out the significance of feathers I see them more.I do live in an area where there are birds.Thank you

35. Joe says:

I woke up this morning after saying my prayers, I went downstairs to fetch some water and I discover a black and white feather placed on top my car, can someone tell me what it signifies

36. Mairi says:

A family friend took his own life on Monday of this week. It has been abosolutely devastating for everyone who knew him. I was deeply disturbed and felt like the burden of the whole situation was weighing heavily on my chest. On Thursday a friend was talking about Jesus and how we find healing when we look to the cross so instead of looking constantly at the horribleness of this friend’s death, I decided to look at the cross of Christ instead. I saw that Jesus absorbed all of that darkness into Himself and I woke up yesterday morning free of the weight. Later on yesterday, a little white fluffy feather dropped out of the sky beside me I felt like a sign but I didn’t ubderstand it(hence my being on this website). So the lighter outlook on a particular situation comment resonated with me : )I wonder if there is any significance in the color of the feather or the type of bird it has come from?

37. Suky says:

I keep finding feathers all over the place, especially black crow feathers which are very beautiful. Last week I was almost mobbed by a lot of crows which were circling and playing right above me. Yesterday I found a huge gull feather and on my way to work a crow glided alongside with my car, directly above my drivers side windscreen, so close I was afraid of hitting it. I feel like these are signs which I’m not equipped to interpret. What do they mean?

38. airene says:

…wow…like me..i saw a feather oin my path yesterday….. i keep it…for me it’s my lucky charm…….

39. A says:

Having gone through a bad time recently and separating from a19 year relationship. I have found the last 9 months to be a struggle and I would say hitting its peak at the moment. Over the last two weeks I think it’s been my daughter who has kept me going. I woke up this morning and decided to let go of the hate I feel within and am trying to take each day as it comes and see the positives. I came home today from work and on my bathroom window ledge was a grey feather I felt very emotional when I seen it and also couldn’t believe how it got in through such a small space as the window was on the latch but I have taken comfort fe this and kept it. I believe in sign and was happy to accept this as I feel I made a right decision last night and this morning and this is a symbol in my eyes of peace! Peace within.

40. Pat T says:

I found a large red feather almost identical to the picture on your site…should I keep it? Let it go?

41. The Jan says:

Take a good look at a feather. There is a strong spine in the middle. You are stronger than you think you are. The smaller fluffier bits come from the strong center. They give you the ability to soar. They are your soft, secure places and people. The feather will protect from the rain and allow care to flow from you like “water off a duck’s back”.

42. laurelea says:

thanks, good answeres to some of my questions for inclusion in some indian art.

43. Rhonda says:

Immediately after my father passed away, I started finding feathers (especially during times of stress and sickness) . I have found them in my home, my car, at my feet in front of my desk at the office (which there was no explanation for) and just about everywhere you can imagine, including on my dresser top. I truly feel this is a sign from my dad to let me know he is watching over me. They are always the very same type and color, very small, light gray/white edges – like a baby bird feather. I just wondered if anyone else has experienced anything similar to this after losing a loved one. I feel certain this is his way of letting me know he is near. I never saw them before he passed. I actually stood on the porch one night while thinking about him and missing him- I asked him for a sign he was happy and with my baby nephew, and a huge shooting star fell right in front of where I was standing. Coincidence?? I do not think so.

44. Celeste says:

Beautiful!! Yesterday I was on a beautiful long hike by the ocean. And I thought someone was sitting on this natural log seat on this rocky outcrop in the distance. But then I saw there were no legs hanging down. As I got closer, I realized it was an eagle! Huge by the way. This beautiful eagle took off and was joined by another one. When I got to the rocky outcrop and log seat, I found two beautiful eagle feathers. I was in awe. Such magnificent birds. And now I have these two beautiful gifts – two eagle feathers!!

45. read this says:

Greetings I am so thrilled I found your site, I really
    found you by accident, while I was researching on Askjeeve for something else, Reggardless I am here now and would
    just like to say thank you for a tremendous post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also lpve
    the theme/design), I don’t have time to go through it aall at the
    moment but I have save it and also added your RSS feeds, so
    when I have time I will be back to read more, Please do keep